WELCOME TO CAROLYN’S MEDIA (Press) ROOM
Whether you are here to:
• To review one of Carolyn’s books,
• To learn more about Carolyn’s free articles, feature story ideas,
or presentation topics,
• To engage Carolyn as a speaker,
• To connect with Carolyn on social media,
• To simply learn more about promotion or writing,
you are in the right place!
Note: Both media kits above include images, blurbs, reviews, interviews, and first-person essays with permission for media to reprint as well as presentation topic suggestions. They also include a contents page to make it easy to for media personel to find what they need. Authors and publishers are welcome to download the kits to use as samples for their own needs with the disclaimer that all kits—when sent to specific resources—should be carefully tailored (edited) so that included segments meet the needs of the author’s media contact or resource.
Carolyn Is a Jack-of-All Trades for Conferences and Events
Keynotes, Seminars, Presentations, Workshops, Panelist and Moderator
Because Carolyn is also an actor, her clips include newspaper feature stories like the front-page story on tolerance followed by community reaction in the Letters-to-the-Editor section in the Glendale News-Press, an LA Times affiliate and a variety of stories covering “Never Too Late to Follow a Dream,” and feminist and environment topics related to her poetry and fiction in venues like LA Daily News, Pasadena Star-News & Associated Papers, The Desert Woman (Las Vegas), Ventura County Star, Nevada Woman, UCLA Writers Quarterly, The Pasadena Weekly, Ridgecrest News-Review, The Robesonian, Ventura County Star. The article featuring her book of poetry celebrating Earth Day was part of the front page Chiron in The Pasadena Weekly.
Find a more complete list of appearances in Carolyn’s media kits available with links near the top of this page.
Carolyn (right) moderates panel on publishing at Call to Arts! EXPO, Pasadena, CA. Panelists
(l. to r.) Alexis Powers, Rolf Gompertz, Leora Krygier, Robert Stone
Carolyn’s credible experience…
- Carolyn Howard-Johnson has written and published every which way—self-published, subsidy-published, traditionally published—all experience that helps her give clients and readers exactly what they need to know.
- Carolyn has published in most genres: fiction–both a novel and short stories—poetry, and nonfiction for writers, and retailers. She has published trade paperbacks, e-books, and booklets. She has also been published in newspapers, magazines, journals, and literally hundreds of websites and blogs.
- Carolyn has worked as a publicist and journalist. That means she knows how to appeal to both sides of the media fence in your search for exposure.
- Carolyn was a UCLA Extension Writers’ Program instructor for nearly a decade.
- Carolyn wrote The Frugal Book Promoter, now in its third edition from Modern History Press.
It is a USA Book News and Irwin award winner among others.
- Carolyn once founded and owned her own chain of retail stores. Why does this count? Because books are sold by retailers. Bookstores are retailers. The more authors know about retailing, the better equipped they are to book workshops, signings, panels, and other appearances. Start learning more about retailing with her series of retailing books listed on her Amazon profile at http://bit.ly/CarolynsAmznProfile.
- The Frugal Editor is the winningest book in her HowToDoItFrugally Series of books. It is not your high school grammar book. Author-specific, it covers important formatting, agents’ query letter pet peeves, computer aids, and more “stuff” you have not seen in the how-to books you’ve read including sample query letters with an explanation why every query letter should be tailored to the occasion.
NOTE: Carolyn has partnered with trusted publishing industry influentials like WinningWriters.com. She presented at BookBaby’s first writers’ conference in Philadelphia when more than 38,000 of their very smart authors and prospective clients downloaded the Frugal Book Promoter when it was offered as part of one of their educational promotions. See a sampling of some of her favorite appearances on the Speaking and Acting Page on this website.
Credentials at a Glance…
- University of Utah, journalism
- Arizona State University, Postgraduate English literature
- University of Southern California (USC), BA in English Literature
- Glendale Community College, overseas study and basic computer classes
- Cambridge University, Trinity College (UK), postgraduate study in short story and writing
- Herzen University (St. Petersburg RU), poetry and other fiction genres
- Charles University (Prague, Czech Republic), writing
- Certificate in Education from UCLA's Instructor Development Program, 2006
- Speaker and learner at many writers' conferences throughout the US
- Cofounder of the free Muse Online Writers' Conference
- Cosponsor of the Roman Retreat.
Watch for new ones!
- Founder of a writers’ critique group for the Glendale Public Library System
Published Works Almanac
Please see Carolyn's Published Works Almanac in the PDF Media Kit #2 Creative Works (available with a click at the top of this page.)
- Instructor for UCLA Extension Writers' Program for nearly a decade.
- Presenter at conferences and tradeshows. (See the page on Speaking on this website.)
- Workshop leader at bookstores, expos, tradeshows, etc.
- Certificate in Education Instruction from UCLA
Note: If you would like to receive Carolyn’s media releases for ideas and information on Carolyn’s presentations and book releases please sign up here.
Note: Carolyn encourages authors to download her multi-use media kits at the top of this page to use as a guide for writing their own media kit in conjunction with the directions in the third edition of The Frugal Book Promoter, published by Modern History Press.
A Guide and Links to all of Carolyn’s Books
Purchase THIS IS THE PLACE
and HARKENING at Amazon in their new and used feature.
Both of these books are out of print. They are available only on Amazon's New and Used feature for about $1.
Purchase TRACINGS (Finishing Line Press) at Amazon.
IMPERFECT ECHOES: Writing Truth and Justice with Capital Letters, lie and oppression with Small
Give the gift of poetry with
a chapbook from
and My Celebration Series
CHERISHED PULSE: Unconventional Love Poetry
IMAGINING THE FUTURE: Ruminations on Fathers and Other Masculine Apparitions
SHE WORE EMERALD THEN: Reflections on Motherhood
BLOOMING RED: Christmas Poetry for the Rational
DEEPER INTO THE POND: Celebration of Femininity
SUBLIME PLANET: Celebrating Earth and the Universe
HowToDoItFrugally Series for Writers
Purchase THE FRUGAL BOOK PROMOTER, Third Edition,
published by Modern History Press
THE FRUGAL EDITOR Second Edition
GREAT LITTLE LAST MINUTE EDITING TIPS FOR WRITERS
an addendum to The Frugal Editor with more word trippers
GREAT FIRST-IMPRESSION BOOK PROPOSALS. Second Edition, published by Modern History Press
HOW TO GET GREAT BOOK REVIEWS FRUGALLY AND ETHICALLY
Survive and Thrive Series of HowToDoItFrugally Books for Retailers
A RETAILER'S GUIDE TO FRUGAL IN-STORE PROMOTION
Authors who understand what retailers need and want are more successful when they
pitch events (workshops, readings, seminars) to bookstores and other businesses.
FRUGAL AND FOCUSED TWEETING FOR RETAILERS
YOUR BLOG, YOUR BUSINESS
Note: Most of Carolyn's books are also available for the Kindle reader.
Did you know that with the Free app, Kindle can be adapted to any reader--even your PC
Note: Carolyn encourages authors to download her Multi-Use Media Kits at the top the Media Press Room Page, to use as a guide for writing their own Media Kit
in conjunction with the directions in the Third Edition of the Frugal Book Promoter, published by Modern History Press.